[FWDLK] Shiftless 55 Powerflite

Need some help from someone who knows 55 Powerflites!!!!!

I put a rebuilt unit in my 55 Chrysler with the rebuilt engine and found
that the tranny will not downshift unless I put the lever in low range.  It
will not downshift or go to passing gear!

The engine and tranny had been rebuilt 10 or more years ago and were in good
storage since.  Fluid added when I started the engine.

I have adjusted the kickdown linkage and also set the line pressure to the
14 PSI as per the manual.  I was very surprised to find it to only be at 3-4
psi as rebuilt.   The bolt seemed snug originally but very loose as I
adjusted it out to get the 14 PSI.  The pressure change was very erratic as
I adjusted it also.

If there is some other adjustment I'm missing to do while it is in the car
I'd be very interested in what it should be.  Otherwise I will pull it and
put in the original correctly working tranny which came in the car.
Aggravating!!

The engine/tranny were rebuilt by a good friend of mine who is a former
Mopar mechanic who then taught auto mechanics at a junior college so I don't
expect an error was made in assembly but there is always a first time I
suppose.  He is halfway across the country by now or else I'd be in his shop
with it already!