Re: [FWDLK] Need information, where should I go. (fwd)

Re: [FWDLK] Need information, where should I go. (fwd)

I posted this yesterday, but I think I had my email configured wrong so
it didn't go through.  Sorry if this is a duplicate.

> You might have fun with a '56 Imperial 354cid hemi 4bbl motor. Keep in kind
> the 3-speed Torqueflite transmission didn't come out until 1956... and only
> on Imperials. I'm not sure how 3-speed automatics will bolt up to the
> earlier 1950-55 331 hemi V-8's.
>
> I have seen Plymouths with transplanted 392 hemi engines... although I
> don'y know the details of how everything went together.

I believe all the small block hemis (everything but the 426) shared a
similar block and everything will bolt up the same.  The 392 had a
higher deck (longer stroke), if memory serves, so intake and maybe
exhaust manifolds won't interchange.  They are very similar to the small
block wedge in physical dimensions.  The biggest difference is that the
crank sticks out about 1/2" farther on the hemis.

There is a guy in Denver who makes an adapter to bolt a small block
torqueflite or 4-speed to a small block hemi.  You may need to modify the
motor mounts to move the engine forward 1/2", but you may be able to use
the original mounts, too.  For example, I put a 392 in a '68 Dart using
the car's original V8 K-frame and by swapping the right and left motor
mounts and putting them in upside down.  I didn't know about the adapter
back then and ended up selling the car with no tranny because I gave up.

It's not the most difficult swap, especially with a tranny adapter.  If
anyone is interested in obtaining an adapter kit, email me privately and
I'll put you in touch with my friend who makes them.  He doesn't do this
for a living, so I don't want to bombard him with calls ;-)

I think there are still some performance parts available for these
engines, especially the 392.

David Bell
smike@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.smike.com