[FWDLK] DeSoto suspension mods

I've been looking into swapping a transverse torsion bar crossmember from a
F/M/J chassis Chrysler product into my '55 DeSoto Firedome.  This would get
me (I believe) a better front suspension, a faster steering ratio (I can
get a 15:1 box for this setup) and disk brakes (the 11.75" Chrysler rotors,
etc will swap onto this crossmember).  The DeSoto was pretty beat when I
got it, so it doesn't really have much collectable value...I just want
something that looks fairly original and is fun to drive.

My questions:
1) Has anyone out there done this or seen it done?  Any
suggestions/warnings on what to do or not to do?
2) Does anyone know if the 291 DeSoto hemi uses the same mounts as the 318
LA that the F/M/J had?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve Shapiro
'55 DeSoto Firedome