Re: [FWDLK] Time for a Brake Overhaul

Hello,
I'm definitely no brake expert, but I have had some extensive experience with
my '57.

A couple of things I learned.
Get some grease seals for the front drums too. Probably a NAPA stock item. May
need a sample to match it up, just in case. Check the flex lines, also a
match-up item.

I switched over to silicone brake fluid. Probably a lot of opinions on it, but
after 14 years with it, I've had no problems. It doesn't eat paint and it
doesn't hold water. You'll be flushing enough with the wheel cylinders to
clean out the old stuff.

Had a devil of a time with the internal metal brake line (between the front
wheel cylinders) leaking. Just bought a standard short pre-made line and bent
it with a tubing bender. No more leaks.

Make sure whoever has the brake lathe that they can handle the rear drums. I
also let them put the micrometer on the drums to check for allowable size.

I ended up having the shoes ground to match the drums, and chamfering the
leading edge of the shoe a little to get rid of a squeal. Overall, it's a
finesse adjustment system, with some of trial and error to get it right. Have
patience and don't make any other plans for the day.

Good Luck!