From: Robert Whitman
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Time for a Brake Overhaul
Date: Wednesday, September 09, 1998 7:44PM

Well I've been putting it off for a year now (I rarely drive it), but
the weather it cooling off and beautiful in K.C., so I will finally
attempt to work on my brakes on the '60 Adventurer.  I know I need new
shoes all around and the wheel cylinders are leaking, so after calling
around, I found the shoes ($35 per axle) and a cylinder kit ($9.50 per
cylinder w/ 6 wheel cylinders or all-new wheel cylinders for $39), all
at Napa.  My drums are in decent shape, they don't all measure
perfectly equal, but they seem to be good enough?  Also my brake light
never lights up until the brake pedal is all the way to the floor
(HELP!).  I have no idea why this is so, but maybe you do.

The reason I bring this to the group is to ask what I need to watch
out for.  This will be my first attack on the mechanicals of an old
car and I want to get the car back on its feet quick.  I own a FSM
(Factory Service Manual).  How do I check the master cylinder for
problems (it should be o.k.?)  I bet I will have problems with pulling
the drum and will need to rent a puller (I will reread the puller
thread from 2 weeks ago).  What tells me whether I need to replace the
drums?  Is there anything I need to watch for when removing or
rebuilding the cylinders?  Why is my brake light not coming on until
the pedal is fully depressed?  I am hoping this will run smoothly (I
have done several brake jobs on my Honda), but any tips from you
knowledgeable folks would be a blessing.  Please help this rookie!
 Thanks,

Robert  'Slim'  Whitman
1960 DeSoto Adventurer
http://carnut.cxo.com/photo/mopar/60soto.jpg