Re: [FWDLK] 392 in 57-8 Plymouth from the factory

Re: [FWDLK] 392 in 57-8 Plymouth from the factory

All,

The late 1950's and the 1960's were the era of customizing. Anyone who
customized his car would take parts from this or that car to achieve the
'look' lhat they wanted. This was also accompanied by somewhat colorful or
even 'loud' paint jobs. Some people would add acessories that their 'plain
jane' car did not have. Pull the six banger and install hot rod engine. Mel
puts 392s and 350s in a lot of his cars. People put Fury trim on Plaza
(gold trim and paint were 'hot' on customs). Make your cheap car look like
expensive one or newer one. Trunk lid and bumper mount Continental kits
were hot. J. C. Whitney sold a two to four headlight conversion kit for
1957 Fords and a few other cars for 'that 1958 look'. I have a friend in
Pittsburgh whos dad used to paint silver trim gold because it was cheaper
than plating. Even I add all the 'bells and whistles' to all of my daily
drivers (tilt, cruze, larger engine, cop options, and all luxury options
from that year and any other that will bolt on). They will make for a few
raised eyebrows in the future.

Sometimes, parts are removed from one years model to rebuild a wreck from a
next year model. In an old salvage yard near here is a 1957 Belvedere four
door hardtop that has a complete 1958 front clip. Probably the result of a
bodyshop rebuilding a wreck on the cheap for a customer. 1958 clip was
available.

People also order cars with unusual options. A salesmans job is to sell you
a car. If you want something that is not standard, he will sell it to you.
For an additional price. I saw a dealer to Chrysler telegram at Carlisle
where a customer wanted a set of gold side inserts for a 1958 four door.
They shipped it. Convertables and wagons always seem to have more engine
than they need. But, if you use a wagon for its intended task, you need a
little more horsepower.

Without a complete knowledge  of a cars past, anything is possible.

Larry Stanley