[FWDLK] overdrive tranny swap stuff

I did same as Jason, cept traded my tranny to a bodyshop buddy for redoing
tghe rear fenders of my 38 Ply pickup. He put it in his 50 ply convert and
lunched it since somehow he screwed up the installation, maybe had to do with
the pawl???  He found another OD and it works just great.
ANYHOO
All the stuff I recall regarding swapping OD's is for PRE-57 units.  Nowhere
have I seen anything saying the later units will fit 56 and earlier.  The
tranny I had was a 56 OD unit, it fit just fine in the 50.  'Later' years
(but still pre-57) had the tailshaft longer which was the same spacing that
that hung on overdrive unit measured. Hence no problemo.
Of course Chryco made major changes in 57, no need to keep much of the old
stuff, but they still kept the flathead 6....  interestingly enuf.
This dont help the problem but anyone looking for an OD better stay pre-56.
AND some units from the 30's have a long case so could be a problem unless U
wanna play driveshaft roulette.
Just like those disc brake swaps, it aint always easy.
Rotsa Ruck-
L.
AH me-  never throw anything out.  From the Nov Dec 93 #203 Plymouth Bulletin
p 16  and so...  41-56 units should interchange cept short wheelbase cars
P17,19,22 used a tranny without that extension  meaning they have longer
driveshaft.  Check out that issue for more info!