[FWDLK] 55 Plymouth

To all Forward Lookers,
   I haven't had my 55 Plymouth running yet this year.  Hven't even started
it.  I wanted to check out the front brakes as they pulled REAL bad last
Fall to the left.   I had found a NOS front wheel cylinder in my parts and
found out what the insides looked like.  I was figuring that I may have been
sold the wrong repair kits and the ones that were in it when I got the car
may have been wrong too.  Well I tore it apart and sure enough it had
different pistons and cups than what I was going to put in on all 4 front
cylinders.  (I put them in but I think the brake "expert" where I got the
repair kits don't know Mopar).   Well I had the corect kits  and put them
in.  And put all back together again. I have had Dot 5 Silicone Brake Fluid
in it since 1089 and there were no signs of rust or moisture or even rubber
swelling.  The fluid that came out was clear and not dirty at all.  I guess
I would never use anything else in these older cars.   So I decided to
grease it also.  Greasing the thing takes time because I need to remove all
the over fill of grease and also off the fittings.  After that I had a good
bit of transmission fluid on the floor from sitting there all winter.  I
found that the shift shaft seal was leaking.  So I decided to check my NOS
parts and would you believe it, I had one!!  I looked in the book as to  how
to change it and I ended up pulling the drain pan and dropping the screen
and the thing above it and was able to push the seal out and as the book
stated to pull the other one down flush with the trans body.  It worked
well.  So back together it went, detailing some as I went.  Even found a new
pan gasket in my parts. I never got into a transmission before.    But I
didn't have any trans fluid, so it will have to wait till next week when I
will pick some fluid up and then start it up and try the brakes.  I'll let
you know how the brakes work.
    Hope this didn't bore any one, but I think I am a more believer on the
correct parts with part numbers than before.  And our Parts books are an
invaliable source of info for us.
I'll go with Part 2 next week some time.    ( Hope to have it on the road
again before it snows here in North Western  Penna).
Jack  Johnson   55 Plymouth  Belvedere