[FWDLK] Not FWDLK; Fluid Drive & Prestomatic

Bill wrote:

>I just wanted to clear up something for all forward lookers since it seems
>many like myself are also involved with pre 55 Chrysler products as well.
>Regarding the term "Fluid Drive," this is not a transmission but a fluid
>coupling clutch.  With Fluid Drive you have a conventional 3 speed column
>shift, but only need to use the clutch pedal if you want to change gears;
ie
>when coming to a stop you do not have to push in the clutch pedal.

I have a 1950 brochure entitled Chrysler's Prestomatic Fluid Drive
Transmission.  The articles states that the system was introduced in 1938.
Here is some text from the brochure:

'Twelve years ago, Chrysler introduced to the motoring public the
revolutionary principle of gyrol Fluid Drive.  This great engineering
achievement completely revolutionized the basic concepts of power
transmission for automobiles.  -- blah blah -- Now, with the wonderful
Prestomatic Transmission, Chrysler's Fluid Drive stands alone in its field
as the ONLY no-shift drive that can proudly point to a time-tested record of
more than 12 years proof!  -- blah blah'

Not that Bill needs my confirmation, but yes, FD is certainly the clutch
coupling.

When introduced the system as a whole was decribed by one motoring
journalist as 'potentially allowing for the full range of transmission
trouble!'  That may be so but mine has been completely reliable so far.

The '51 that started this thread will the same as my '50.  There is a
selector lever right and behind the steering wheel.  There is no indicator
to show which gear is selected, or even if the system is in neutral.
Selector positions must be remembered - but there are only 4 including
neutral.

Horizontal is neutral.  Depress the clutch and push the lever downward.
This will engage high ratio, first gear.  Lift the clutch pedal slowly,
apply accelerator pedal and you're away.  The clutch pedal is then not
needed unless you either 1) start away again after engaging neutral or 2)
engage reverse.

You can stop and hold the car on the brake pedal just like a fully
automatic.

When the car reaches a speed of, oh 18mph or so, release pressure from the
accelerator pedal and the prestomatic will shift to high ratio, second gear.
(If it sticks and fails to shift then quickly stab and release the clutch
pedal)  If your speed drops below about 10mph then the system will
automatically shift back to high ratio, first gear.  The clutch is not used
when changing gear within a ratio.

There is also a low range, which, like the high range, is possed of 2 gears.
To select low range, depress the clutch and push the lever upward.
Different approximate shift speeds probably apply to low ratio but no
comment on those speeds.

So the system is counter intuitve.  High ratio is down and low ratio is up!
(Unless you think about it in terms of UP-hill)

In practice, high ratio is suitable for almost all types of driving.  I've
only needed low range on some very steep hills.  The Prestomatic then, is
effectively a 4 speed system.  I suspect, however, that the 2 ratios
actually use the same gear cogs inside the box.

I do not know whether Chrysler advised stopping before switching ratios.  I
have experimented and the car seemed perfectly happy to be switched from
high-first to low-first while still rolling as we approached a steep hill.
I've not tried it yet without the clutch but I think it would be OK.

That just leaves reverse.  Stop, depress the clutch pedal and move the lever
upward while at the same time pulling it toward you.  Sometimes mine misses
and gets low ratio.

Richard.