Re: [FWDLK] What is a Fargo?

---- Robert Bishop wrote:

> It's a Canadian model -- basically a Dodge truck with different emblems.  In
> Canada the Dodge/DeSoto dealers sold Dodge trucks and Chrysler/Plymouth
> dealers sold Fargo trucks.  I believe they started making the Fargo in about
> 1932 and continued until sometime in the late 60's

Fargo was originally meant to be Chrysler's truck line,
and was planned before WPC bought Dodge Brothers.  The
mass-market US Fargos only lasted from '29-'31 (some
sources say '32), killed off by intramural competition
from the better-established Dodge.  Fargo used as an
export name after '31, as well as on Plymouth passenger
cars built for the US military.  The true Canadian Fargo
appeared about 1935 or '36, and lasted until the end of
the '72 model year.  The name continued in use in some
export markets, and is still in use -- along with DeSoto
 -- by a former Chrysler subsidiary in Turkey.

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com