Re: [FWDLK] Different wiews about NOS

The definitions of NOS and NORS as described by some of the replies is
correct, however I think there is one missing and it should be NODS or
NOTS which stands for new old defective stock or new old takeoff
stock. A very large percentage of the parts sold as NOS are actually
defective or rejects from original production and an equal quantity
are takeoffs which were exchanged when the vehicle was new or still
under warranty because the customer noticed a minor flaw or the part
didn't fit right. These takeoffs were put back in the new box and are
now being sold as NOS. I am sure that some of you who have worked in
the auto trade or auto parts manufacturing can verify this. The
mechanical and electrical parts usually look good but don't work
properly, in many cases they can be adjusted or calibrated by a
qualified person and are then quite usable. Chrome, trim and other
appearance items should be judged by appearance but many do not fit
because the stamping is wrong or the casting is distorted or bolt
holes are not aligned or threaded properly, but many can be repaired.
A lot of vendors like Mitchell and others are selling this stuff at
ridiculous prices when in actual fact it is not NOS!!
This is fraud and I expect someone will eventually sue one of them. I
have used many NODS or NOTS parts which I have repaired or adjusted to
fit but I usually bought them at very reasonable prices from honest
vendors who were aware that they were not real NOS. I would be
interested to hear what the rest of you think about this.

Dieter Bauer
59 Fury
60 Fury
62 Fury