From: J. Johnson <johnaire@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, August 01, 1999 2:31 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Dot 5 silicone brake fluid

To all

   This is what my friend found on the internet under Popular Mechanics on the Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid.  I have had this in my 55 Plymouth for 10 years with out a single problem with the fluid or seals.  Does any one have experience with this Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid?  And if you have any info on it let the List know as we can all learn form others.  The web site is http://popularmechanics.com/   I have found it to be great as the cylinders are nice and shiny and no moisture in them and all looks very nice and normal.  Maybe this winter I will take the back brakes apart and look inside there as the back haven't been apart since 1989 when I put the Dot 5 in.

Jack Johnson    55 Plymouth Belvedere

My friend Terry wrote:

Warning: There are silicone brake fluids (labeled DOT 5) that are immune to moisture (5.1 is nonsilicone, but DOT 3 and 4 are what you should use). Don't even think about using DOT 5 silicone fluid in an automotive braking system, because it may cause faster wear of the seals, and if enough water gets into a system it could cause loss of pedal. DOT 5 and 5.1 have application in some racing vehicles.