[FWDLK] Disc brakes, tyres, Alternator vs. Generator, etc

[FWDLK] Disc brakes, tyres, Alternator vs. Generator, etc

We (some 250 of us) have had some interesting tidbits regarding the
referenced subjects, and more, over the past few months.  As I wrestle with
my 'tyre thing' and stopping with my 41 2dr and consider maybe improvements
on my 56, I just wonder-
Is it really worth the effort?
I read the Q and A in Cars and Parts and OCW and whatever, and even on our
critters.  And WE are gonna improve em!
Its the American Way?
Recall the post WWII Hot Rod era.  Airport drag racing, dry lake bed time
trials, and the introduction of the Petersen Publications- Hot Rod, Motor
Trend, and what else?
If U had a Model A, put a V8 in it, and then high comp heads and dual carbs,
yet didnt change the mechanical brakes- Trouble!  Let alone the buggy spring
suspension.  You literally HAD to improve the stuff...
But us with Hydraulic brakes (thanks Chrysler) and V8 engines and 2 or 3
speed automatics and torsion bars, I wonder what we gotta improve?
Its still EZ to recall my dad starting his 40 Ply 2dr during WWII, and in
winter the charger on overnight, maybe a light bulb under the crankcase, and
still pray it starts.  Many of the >>>>LOOKers dont know how it was to run 6v
all year round...  It was often a hassle.  No crank and start in +10 weather.
 Nor in 95 deg weather (vapor lock).
And with my stopping in the 41- the brakes LOCK.  The tyres SLIDE.  I dont
need disc brakes, I need tyres that grip.  Iffen the brakes pulsate with
those ill advised new Maxigrip 60 series tyres on it, then thats another
problem.  And caused by me by exceeding the design parameters of the System
(that word again).
I had a post never sent, regarding the flathead 6 and power, or lack of it. A
5% loss of power due to bad ignition or whatever on a 125 hp engine means I
lose 6 hp netting 119  hp.  A 5% loss of power on a 300 hp 383 or 413 means I
lost 15 hp or STILL 285 available!   Simply meaning the poor ole 6 needs to
be tuned regularly to keep its ooomph, the V8  can torque it out even with
greater losses and hardly be noticed....
Well just rambling, but my gut tells me that if all the systems in our 40
year old cars are operating at 95% of original we may have few complaints. Or
no need to do major upgrades unless we are running autocross or vintage drags
or the Great Race?  Then we will have plenty of time for important stuff (
cutting the grass, repainting the kitchen, or that vacation to long lost
relatives).  ;o/
In other words MAINTENANCE is the name of the game?
Food for thought!!!???
Yum yum!
L.

(Uh oh- and now DOT 5 brake fluid!)