Re: [FWDLK] Chrome colosseums

Roger Howard wrote:

> According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars---------            the
> 1961 Desoto came only as 2 dr hardtops and 4dr hardtops. Marko reports  he
> recently saw  two Desoto Diplomat station wagons - a 1960 and a 1961.  I do
> not know much about the Diplomat model, since the Diplomat name was used
> only for Canadian and export models.   Can anyone shed any light on this
> mystery?

The Diplomat was export-only, and was not sold in Canada
altho it was sold in Mexico and U.S. territories such as
Puerto Rico and Guam.  Most Diplomats were Plymouths
with DeSoto trim features (even DeSoto front clips in
'57-'59), but the '60 and '61 Diplomat were rebadged
Dodge Darts.  And Marko is correct, they were sold as
wagons in '60-'61, as well as a '60 Diplomat Custom
convertible.

South Africa got the added bonus of the DeSoto Rebel,
which was a rebadged Dodge Lancer.

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com