[FWDLK] Why we do what we do

I have a CD by David Wilcox [How Did You Find Me Here] with a tune I never
paid much attention to; last spring, I bought the '55 Savoy.  Just last
week, I saw Wilcox in concert and he played the song.  Funny how much I
identify with it now!  I was seduced in much the same way...

Rusty Old American Dream

Well I don't look all that ragged for all the times it's been
but I'm weakened underneath me where my frame is rusted thin
and this year's state inspection I just barely passed
Won't you drive me cross the country, boy, this year could be my last

I'm a tail-finned road locomotive
from the days of cheap gasoline
I'm for sale by the side of the road, goin' nowhere
a rusty old American dream

I rolled off the line in De-troit back in 1958
spent 3 days in the showroom, that's all I had to wait
I've been good to all who owned me, so have no fear
C'mon boy, put your money down and get me outta here

I'm a tail-finned road locomotive
from the days of cheap gasoline
I'm for sale by the side of the road, goin' nowhere
a rusty old American dream

Now this car needs a young man to own him
one who will polish the chrome
I will give you the rest of my lifetime
don't let me die here alone

Just jump me some juice to my bat-try
give that old starter a spin
hear me whirr, sputter, backfire through the carburetor
and roar into life once again

I'm a tail-finned road locomotive
you can polish my chrome so clean
we can fly off into the sunset together