Re: [FWDLK] 61 DeS conv & 60-61 DeS Dipl

---- Marko Longgren wrote:

> rhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >mystery?    I know someone in Scandinavia put a 61 Desoto front clip on a
> >61 Chrysler and passes  it off as a 61 Desoto convertible-even got written
> >up in a magazine.  -(In "DeSoto Adventures" and Swedish "Wheels" and
> "Power" -ML).
>
> Nobody here put a 61 DeSoto front clip on a 61 Chrysler. That car was a
> project car and it was a "correct" 61 DeSoto convertible, when it was
> brought here. There were not enough evidences of either the car was an
> original convertible or not. Or someone did the uncommon job many decades
> ago. As you know, the factory never offered a 61 DeSoto convertible. When
> the announcing of discontinuing DeSoto passenger cars was launched, may be
> some boss in DeSoto line wanted something unusual and they used body of a
> 61 Newport convertible to make a DeSoto convertible.. may be. There is also
> a 61 DeSoto convertible in Texas in condition #5.

Marko and anyone else:

Does anyone know the VIN numbers on these cars, or what
the fender tag (actually inside the LF door near the
hinges on a '61) says?

IIRC a DeSoto VIN starts with "6" while a Chrysler VIN
starts with "8".  I think the body codes on the fender
tag follow a similar pattern.

This might not say *specifically* who did what when, but
it could at least clear up the mystery of factory or
otherwise.

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com