[FWDLK] Horsepower Valuation..Motor Trend

[FWDLK] Horsepower Valuation..Motor Trend

First anyone notice the new Motor Trend...great 50th
anniversary issue? Being a 60 Dodge lover the  Red
Phoenix on the cover is amazing.
My question is regarding estimate of horsepower.In an article
they compare a new 99 Honda Mini Van to some legendary old
V-8 muscle including the 55/300 and 58/Vette in which the
0-60 times are matched by the mini-van (all in the 9/10 second
range). The article obviously praises todays 6 cylinder efficiency
but goes on to talk about historical overinflated horsepower estimates.
The premise was unrestricted ,without air cleaner belts etc, as the
old formula and today is more conservative..effective horsepower
as mounted in car.So to anyone who might know what is the effective
equivalent between yesterday and today in percentage terms.If it is
a range what would it be? Or if you prefer take a shot at the 383
in my Polara factory rated in 1960 at 325hp...what would it be by
todays standards???
Bob Howard
60 Polara Wagon