Re: [FWDLK] Fw: Radiators, Paint, & Wheels...

Re: [FWDLK] Fw: Radiators, Paint, & Wheels...

In a message dated 8/13/99 7:45:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tehoema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> How about anything black under the hood- or the car actually since the frame
>  has it also.  The key is if it comes off with gasoline or other solvent it
>  is the tar based paint.
40's era Chryslers never used this.  Many people may not be aware but these
cars used a "Navy" or "porch paint" gray enamel under the hoods, fenders,
trunk lid and truck area, no matter what the exterior color was.  We have
even discovered a slight color variation.  One theory is they may have used
extra paint they had on hand, although the color over the years was very
close.  Chassis's had semi-gloss enamel used on them to my knowledge, as far
back as the 20's.  Regarding radiators, many radiator shops I am familiar
with in the west have used gasoline to thin enamel paint to almost water
consistency, since it evaporates and drys quickly, and merely colors the fins
to make it look nice without harming the cooling ability.
                                Bill Borton