Re: [FWDLK] Repro '60 DeSoto "Chevrons" and other small stuff....

Re: [FWDLK] Repro '60 DeSoto "Chevrons" and other small stuff....

Hi All,
    I've been goofing around with rubber and plastic molding the last few
months.  Although there are some subtle tricks and nuances that I've learned
from research, other molders, and trial and disaster, it's not rocket science.
    As many have pointed out, a major part of the effort involves coming up
with good  parts from which to take impressions.  With the rarity of the
Chevrons, and some of the other small pieces I've looked at, I can certainly
see why folks would be reluctant to part company with them.
    It seems to me that with some good photographs, and lenses missing the
Chevrons, I would be able to come pretty close to the correct shape.  The
cavity left by the missing Chevron should fairly closely approximate the
shape of the back of the part and the attaching pin, and the fronts could be
estimated from good multiple-angle photographs.
    I have a fairly complete machine shop, and am currently doing repro trans
mounts for some of the later cars.   I'm interested in giving the Chevrons a
shot if someone can provide the lens less Chevrons, and close-up photos
showing different angles of the missing pieces.  I don't know how exact the
tolerances were back then, but both sides could probably be prototyped with
the information from one.  The lens would be returned once tooling was
developed.
    I'd also be interested in looking at any other small parts that could be
molded.  I'm currently experimenting with metal casting, so metal parts are
not out of the question.
    If anyone is interested in working with me on this, please contact me
either at this address, or IMPSVCS@xxxxxxx

Thanks,
Steve Charette
Imperial Services