[FWDLK] Kroil revisited

I have a '55 Savoy with a flathead 6.  I bought it off a lot, with no idea
how long the car sat while not running.  It runs now -- but blows a lot of
smoke.

An old car guy told me the rings might be frozen, and if loosened up, the
car might not smoke so badly.  He suggested that I drain the oil, pull the
plugs and put kerosene in each of the cylinders, and let it sit for a few
days.  Then, drain again, fill with oil, run briefly, drain again, and
refill.  I know that kroil has been advocated for freeing rings from
cylinders -- but what about for the purpose of freeing rings from pistons?
Is there anything at all to his theory, and if so, might I do just as well
with kerosene as with kroil?

    adTHANKSvance
    Dan