[FWDLK] Flathead deal: Tell me what you think

[FWDLK] Flathead deal: Tell me what you think

I have a '55 Plymouth Savoy, with a questionable flathead.  This weekend, I
will be visiting a shop where there is a flathead for sale.  The owner says
this about it (it is not his shop):
-----
The engine was supposed to come out of a 42 dodge
car.  From what I have read, that makes it a 230 ci
motor, but I am not sure.  I wrote down the numbers on
the head, but didn't write down the serial number.
Here is what was on the head: 9-23, but I am not sure
about the 9. and near the back part of the block, is
the number 8700 66-1.
-----
How he came by the motor, I do not know, but at this point he cannot use it.
The motor was ostensibly rebuilt using NOS parts, but never having been
dropped in a car, it was never run.  I do not know how long ago it was
rebuilt.  He is selling it for $300; many of the visible parts on the motor
would be useful to me (e.g., the exhaust manifold, the brake on the tranny,
the carb, etc.).  So, here are my questions:

1)  What is the likelihood that a '42 Dodge flathead would fit in a '55
Plymouth?  What would need to be changed, if anything (e.g., motor mounts)?

2)  If I buy this engine -- and for that price, I think I should, if only
for parts -- how should I proceed, under the assumption that it would be a
good idea to use it instead of stripping it?

        adTHANKSvance
        Dan