Re: [FWDLK] Convertables

In a message dated 9/21/99 6:19:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tehoema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Yes the 46 T$C Hardtop was a convertible with a hardtop attached to it.  The
>  Newport's which came out starting in 1950 were also this situation.  Not
>  sure when it quit for hardtops

Actually there were 7 1946 T & C Hardtops built and only one is known to
exist. It is the Wallace car (so named after the then President of Chrysler
Corp), and it belongs to a friend of mine who recently restored it.  We
learned during restoration this was not a convertible body, but a custom body
more similar to the business coupe body, due to the longer rear trunk area.
Some body parts were shared with the convertible, but shared also parts with
other models as well.  If  I might add this car came with a "plastic type"
rear window, and in 1949 was placed in the factory shop and was repainted,
had a key start ignition switch installed to replace the push button, & had
power steering installed.  Most mechanics were the same as other 8 cylinder
models of that time, except this car had a different cam shaft, and I can
honestly say it is the fastest straight 8 Chrysler I have ever driven.
Although never massed produced this "Wallace" car is truly the first 2 door
hardtop (no post) ever built.
                                    Bill Borton