[FWDLK] Gear Ratios

I have located the last piece of the powertrain for my 56 Savoy.
(You may recall that I have obtained a 360/727 and plan to use the car for
street/ocassional track use).
Found a b-body sure grip rear in a Delaware yard with 3.23 gears for  $300.
The price seems good even though I have to travel about 3 hours to pick it
up.
My question is what kind of driving performance am I looking at with these
gears, my initial impression it that this should be just fine for street use
but my be too high for decent track performance. I was thinking that 3.75's
might be a good compromise ratio. The car will probably end up with 14 inch
tires.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts?
Scott