[FWDLK] MTBE

MTBE was and still is controversial.  It has been complained about since it
was first included in the gas in California.

I cost more to buy gas because it was an extra additive.  "The State" said it
would reduce emissions.

Unfortunately, it also reduced mileage so you had to buy and burn more of it,
which INCREASED total emissions and cost more per mile to drive.  As you have
read on the list, it rots rubber like crazy.  Every motor vehicle I owned
that had MTBE fuel in it leaked suddenly and copiously.  (Lots!)

I left California before it became an issue that directly affected me, but
there was supposed to be a ban on two-cycle outboard engines in some (or all)
lakes because of MTBE pollution.

Having now moved to Michigan, I really don't like the snow... but I don't
miss the California legislature one bit!  In the thirty or so years I lived
there, they took a pleasant place and made it into a minefield of taxes and
regulations!

Sorry for the sour grapes... (But they don't rot fuel lines!)

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Mi
(And I don't miss smog checks either!)