Re: [FWDLK] "Finless cousisn"

This is a great thread- What is the Forward Look?

I usually do not participate, but having subscribed to the list since 6/98
here is my $0.02 on the finless cousin debate:

1.  In the strictest sense the term "Forward Look" is an advertising
campaign slogan used to market the 55 models and subsequent years of the
Exner era. How long did Chrysler use this slogan to advertise their
vehicles, and what was the last car to be promoted under this campaign? If
other slogans were used, does it eliminate a car from consideration on this
list? Should we believe everything that advertising tells us? New for
'62-aside from fin surgery and Aluminum Torqueflites and the intro of the
b-bodied platform, not much changed on existing cars.

2.  Some consider Forward Look cars to be synonymous with finned Chryslers,
which would exclude the 55 model year and anything after '62. This may be
the classic image of a Forward Look car, but as a definition it is
inherently flawed. Excluding finless cars would also eliminate the
Valiant/Lancers of '60-61. I don't see anyone making the argument that
these are not Forward Look cars.

3.  The other vital component of the Forward Look is Exner. Exner' designs
for me can be broken down into three distinct phases that include the
entire 55-56 lines (early), 57-61 excluding Valiant/Lancer (middle), and
late which would start with the Valiant/Lancer designs and end with the 64
Chryslers. Although Exner and Chrysler parted ways in November of '61 (the
'62 models had long ago departed the drawing board), the design of these
later cars is primarily the result of Exner and not Elwood Engle.

Forward Look is a term that is by nature design focused and consequently
would place design first and foremost. With this in mind, I favor using
Exner as the basis for which cars this group chooses to cover. This would
include the entire '62 line and selected '63 and '64 cars such as the 63
880 and 63 300. The  880s show the transition between the Exner and Engle
eras, the front and rear glass for my 63 880 originates from 2 '61 cars
(Windsor and Pioneer), while the grill work and tail lights are starting to
show some Engle influence. The unique thing about this group is the idea of
looking at cars from a perspective that emphasizes design, rather than
model years, as the name suggests.

David Tsow

P. S. Yes, Forward Look applies only to Chrysler Products
Sorry to disappoint anyone who is seriously suggesting otherwise