[FWDLK] Straight from D-C...

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/news/top/t91104_e.htm

DaimlerChrysler Corp. Strengthens Brand Strategy for Global Growth

Auburn Hills, MI., November 3, 1999

 DaimlerChrysler today announced that it will embark on a growth
 strategy to broaden the Chrysler brand on a global basis,
 beginning immediately. In conjunction with this, the Plymouth
 brand will be phased out at the end of the 2001 model year.

 "Our goal is to increase our automotive presence around the
 world, and to do that, we need to focus our resources and our
 efforts on our growth opportunities," said James P. Holden,
 President, DaimlerChrysler Corporation. "The Chrysler brand has
 tremendous worldwide growth potential for cars. We have made
 the decision to broaden and further strengthen the Chrysler brand
 with new, exciting cars. This eliminates often overlapping
 Plymouth brand models, and further focuses all our brands."

 The current Plymouth product line-up is limited to Neon, Breeze,
 Voyager, Grand Voyager and Prowler.

 The Chrysler brand will appeal to a greater breadth of customers
 by providing additional vehicles that are targeted to the needs of a
 more diverse audience. In mid-December, the Chrysler minivan
 line-up will be expanded with the addition of the Chrysler Voyager
 and Grand Voyager joining the new Town and Country LX
 package.

 In the mid-size segment, the Chrysler brand reinstated the Cirrus
 LX package in October. This package, in addition to the Cirrus
 LXi, offers customers exceptional value through an enhanced
 choice of features and options. Retail production of the Plymouth
 Breeze nameplate will be discontinued at the end of 1999.

 "As the marketplace changes, we continue to see a shift to
 brands with a stronger image, like Chrysler," Holden said.
 "Chrysler has great momentum right now that we intend to keep
 going. As we move forward with our global growth strategy,
 Plymouth, as a U.S. brand only, did not contribute to that growth.
 This was an emotional decision because Plymouth will always be
 an important part of our heritage. This strategy gives us the
 opportunity to increase our volume substantially and benefit from
 increased efficiency in the product development, marketing, sales
 and support areas. This strategy was developed with the best
 interests of our customers, shareholders, dealers and employees
 in mind."

 "Addressing the needs and concerns of current Plymouth owners
 is a top priority for the company and our dealers," said Martin
 Levine, Vice President, Marketing, Chrysler, Plymouth and Jeep.
 "We want them to remain in the family. With the Chrysler
 Voyager, the all-new Chrysler PT Cruiser, the Chrysler 300M and
 coming in the near future, more high-volume products exclusive to
 the Chrysler brand, we expect our family to grow dramatically in
 terms of volume and result in a more diverse customer base."

 Since the launch of the new generation Chrysler brand products
 starting with Concorde in 1993, sales have more than doubled ('92
 model year sales of 157,838 vs. '99 model year sales of 321,438)
 and concurrently the buyer profile has become more diverse with
 a median age dropping by 7 years, as well as, better educated.

 DaimlerChrysler will continue to produce Plymouth Neon and
 Prowler through the 2001 model year. Warranties on all Plymouth
 products remain unchanged and the products will continue to be
 serviced by our Chrysler brand dealers, nationwide.

                                                       News

 ©1998-1999 DaimlerChrysler. All rights reserved.
 Privacy Statement, Legal Notices and Terms