Re: [FWDLK] Plymouth - wait a minute, think about this...

Re: [FWDLK] Plymouth - wait a minute, think about this...

But Phil, it wouldn't make sense for Daimler to diminish or
kill off the Chrysler heritage - that's one of the reasons
they bought the company!

Plymouth has been in trouble for a long time - since the
Reliant days at least. Chrysler has pumped tons of money
into trying to rejuvenate the marque with little or no
success in the marketplace. The last ditch effort was the
Prowler - used to create showroom traffic rather than
Prowler sales and that didn't work either.

The reason the minivans all looked alike was cost plain and
simple as it is the reason with every other car company.
When folks looked at a Dodge brand vs a Plymouth brand using
the same platform in recent years, the dollar difference
just didn't make sense to buy the Plymouth considering the
resale loss. This didn't affect the Chrysler brand as much
though because of the price differential there.

As to Dodges, hey if they don't sell then I wouldn't expect
them to last long. These are cars remember, not members of
your family! Chrysler isn't the only one with "old" brand
name problems. Ford has a Mercury brand they're trying to
resuscitate and have already dropped the Marks because of
sales problems. GM has a few too like Cadillac that has
consistently been losing market share and Buick which has
already dropped the Riviera. Oldsmobile is dumping big
buckets of money into Oldsmobile Division to try and save
it.

Look back at the other fine makes that have bit the dust -
Studebaker, Packard, Nash and we all know the others. It has
been a lack of sales plain and simple - no mysterious plots,
no destruction campaigns, no sabotage, and in this instance,
no purposeful diminishing of the Chrysler name.

Profits rule in Detroit, not emotion.

From a positive sense, look at what DaimlerChrysler is
planning for the future - a new V8 front engine rear drive
300, a new Charger, a new breed of small minivans, an
evolutionary development of the terrific LH sedans, new
market leading Jeeps etc. I don't think we will be reading
of Chrysler's demise anytime soon!

Brian
57 D500s