[FWDLK] USA-Canada Adventure

This isn't ForwardLook related strictly speaking, but my true story might keep some of you from having a mishap.  Believe it or not, this is the short version:

I sold a parts car to a guy in British Columbia including delivery.  He supposedly checked out customs and told me "no problem," I would need to pay a 7% import tax at the border.

Had an uneventful trip until we reached the border crossing at Sumas, Washington.  First, they directed me to park in a nice long covered parking for "inspection."  No problem.  Then my friend and I were to report to the building.

Once in the building we were directed to immigration, where our driver's licenses were taken.  We were asked if we had ever been convicted of a crime and both said no.  After about 15 minutes he came back, and started questioning my friend about a DWI.  Yes, he'd had a conviction, but that wasn't a criminal offense.  Well it is in Canada, so my friend was "deported," leaving me alone to drive his truck, trailer and car to the delivery.  He was told that he will be an "undesirable alien" and not eligible for entry for the rest of his life unless he gets a waiver from a Canadian magistrate.

Next was customs.  They asked me if the car had air conditioning.  Expecting a car inspection, and fearful of lying considering my friend's experience, I admitted it did.  "Well, that'll be $100 excise tax on the AC, even if it doesn't work, plus the 7% import tax."  They never did look at the car, check the VIN or anything.  It could have been worth $500 or $50,000, they just took my word for the price.

Now comes the fun part.  After I delivered the car and came back to the border, the US Customs men were livid.  Seems that they had a "gentlemen's agreement" with the Canadians to call US when a car is being taken over.  US then impounds the car for 72 hours and, if it clears their stolen car check, there's an EXPORT tax!  I lucked out on that one!  Once I got back it was too late for them to do anything to me.

The moral of the story is, don't deliver a car to Canada, or if you do, expect some real hassles.

--Roger van Hoy, '55DeSoto, '42DeSoto, '66Plymouth, '73Duster, Washougal, WA, USA