[FWDLK] List Etiquette

Hi All,

I just got this in my mailbox from a subscriber to the list...

   " I have been thinking that it is time I unsubscribe from FL and move
on.
Although there are several excellent people who are Members,  most of
the
conversations seem to be about customizing, engine swaps, disc brakes
conversions, etc. And members do not seem to  follow your basic rules ,
one
of which is do NOT carry on private conversations on the Group List."

I will sincerely miss this person's posts as he was an active
contributor to the
list.  so for those of you that believe that straying off-topic isn't a
bad thing,
believe me: to many folks it is.

So, here's a few things to think about before ya' send out
that next post...

1) PLEASE think about this before you send out a message. Ask yourself:
   Does everyone need to read this, or should I maybe just send this to
   one person specifically? Emailing the list asking if anyone knows
   how to replate pot metal would be just fine.  Emailing the list to
   ask one individual if they will be going to Thursday's local cruise
   night is bad. (You get the idea.)  This is the most important thing
   you need to do -- stay on topic, and keep personal conversations
   personal.  PLEASE

2) Before replying to a post, read ALL of your current list mail, as
   someone else may have already replied with the exact same thing.

3) The focus of most of the people on this list is restoration and
preservation.
   While modified/customized cars are fine, please limit your questions
and
   resonses to remain relevant to the list.  Asking about engine swaps
etc.,  is
   fine, but once you find people willing to help, please move the
discussion
   "off - list" and email each other privately.  This will help reduce
the friction
   between some restorers and customizers.

4) When replying to an article it is not necessary to quote the entire
   article back to the list, use your editor to trim out all but what is

   relevant to your reply. This makes things a lot easier to read and
   saves bandwidth as well.

5) SENDING OUT POSTS IN ALL CAPS IS CALLED "SHOUTING".
   IT'S HARD TO READ,  AND MAY ANNOY SOME PEOPLE BADLY.
   (My mom types this way all the time... still can't get her to
   change...)

6) Please DO NOT post pictures or other attachments to the list. We have

    a web site, and I will be happy to post pics there for anyone who
asks.

7) "Flame wars" and bashing of other people's opinions, cars, etc are
   NOT permitted. The list is intended to be productive and
   informative. An animated discussion is fine, but remember, insults
   can hurt feelings.

8) "For Sale" and "Wanted" posts are fine, as long as the number of
   posts is within reason. Please, when possible, combine all your
   items wanted or items for sale into one message, rather than
   posting each item individually.  Remember the forums on the web site
   as well

9) If you are getting too many messages per day, you can set the
   listserv so that you only receive the list in "digest" form
   (1 a day).  Send a message to LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, with any
   "Subject", and in the body of the message type only:

   SET L-FORWARDLOOK DIGEST

   ... and then send the message.

If you have questions about any of the above, just drop me a line.

-Dave Stragand