Re: [FWDLK] License Plates

Dave, you are wrong.  The '51 plate and the '63 plate were black with
yellow letters, but the '56 base plate used till '62 was yellow with
black letters.  I have ten sets of these plates on my wall and on my
'56 Furys.

Richard

Glenn,

California in 1957 was black with yellow lettering. They used ordinary black
paint into at least the early 1960s.

The movie studios in California can make plastic plates with any alpha
numeric combination they want. These are just not legal on the street, but
OK on the studio set. A friend of mine had some he "retained" after renting
his car for a movie.

I have considered taking several plates and cutting out the letters that I
wanted. Then re-welding them back into a plate with the combination that I
wanted. The only problem is that in Minnesota, the plates were
"reflectorized" starting in 1956, so I would need to have a special source
to recoat the plate. I suspect that Minnesota was a leader in
"reflectorization" because 3M, a Minnesota company, is the original material
provider. More work than I wanted to do.

You may want to look for some license plate collectors on the Internet.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500