[FWDLK] Gas Tank Removal

Hiya!

I had to pull the tank on my 59 for the same reason - after 10 years or more
of sitting, the gas had become algae, rust, and goo.

Pulling the tank is straightforward - there are two long, strap-bolts at the
back.  Soak the thrads liberally with penetating oil and hope you don't snap
them. Disconnect the filler neck at the body, and the wiring and hose at the
sending unit.  Support the tank with a jack (put a piece of plywoodbetween
the jack and the tank)

Remove the nuts from the strap bolts.  Mine snapped off despite being careful
- I duplicated them using truck battery bolts from an auto parts store and
having a machine shop cut and thread them the correct length - only $25
total, so it isn't a major problem.

Once you lower the tank and get rid of the really disgusting stuff inside,
take it to a reputable radiator shop and have it boiled out and sealed.  This
should cost about $45-75, but has to be done even if the tank isn't leaking.
Backflush your fuel lines to clean out the goo or replace them.  And after
all is back in place, install a fuel filter and change it after the first
week.

The straps