[FWDLK] Followup on coolant recovery kit

[FWDLK] Followup on coolant recovery kit

Ok, got my coolant recovery kit installed.  Took the car out for a hi speed
spin on the interstate and got it plenty warm.

After shutting down the engine, the temperature flashed (because of the
water being in static contact with the hot block) and caused some coolant to
blow out the overflow tube, right into the overflow container.  Slick!

Only problem is when the engine cooled sufficiently, the coolant did not go
back into the radiator.  I am not sure what I need to correct this.

Some tell me, the radiator neck is not designed properly for the new style
"closed system" radiator caps, which allow for the overflow coolant to
migrate back into the radiator via the vacuum created by the cooling liquid.
  The parts guys around here are just kids and have no idea what the
radiator looks like on a 64.  They thought ALL radiators were the "closed"
type, hahaha.

So, short of completely changing radiators, (which is NOT an option), is
there a way to make the existing system act like a closed system and have
the captured coolant return to the radiator after cooldown?

Karl

PS, to answer a couple queries, the current radiator cap is a 14 lb with
lever-operated pressure release.  The car is a 1964 Fury with a 68 440 in it
and I believe a stock radiator (completely refurbished), which came with the
Fury and the original 383 motor.