[FWDLK] Petronix Ignition, Distributor conversions

[FWDLK] Petronix Ignition, Distributor conversions

I spoke to a PerTronix rep at Hershey last fall. He said the they do not
have a conversion for the Autolight distributors. They only have units for
1960 and newer Chrysler designed distributors.

For a vintage appearance, a 60's vintage distributor from a 318 could be
used with a PerTronix conversion for retrofitting the 241/ 270 Hemi/Poly and
50's 318 Dodge and Plymouth engines. The same for 350/361/383 R and 383/413
RB engines. I am not sure about the Chrysler and DeSoto Hemi/Poly engines.

The Chrysler electronic distributor for any 318/340/360 LA engine will fit
into a 241 or 270 Dodge or 318 without modification. To fit into a 315 or
325 Dodge, or 392 Hemi, an adapter is required because the shaft is too
short. Mopar Performance kit, P/N P3690426 (318/340/360), includes
distributor, wiring harness, control module, ballast resistor, and
instructions.
     Distributor adapters for 315/325 can be obtained from:
             Kent Redd, (417) 467-2256
             Reath Automotive, (562) 426-6901

B and RB engines have similar kits available. One drawback for the Chrysler
distributor is the need for a large external control box, which will not
look stock. Another is the need for a solid state voltage regulator
conversion for 60's alternator equipped cars. Conversion kits are available
through Chrysler. I am not sure how well the distributor works with
generator equipped cars.

Ignition coil: the original stock coil is OK, but a little weak for
performance. I like a little hotter spark. I used a Jacobs Electronics
(800-627-8800, www.jacobselectronics.com/ ) Energy Coil # 380672T, and
ballast resistor RU13 (looks like the original, from Car Quest, 1.6 ohms).
Set the plug gap at .045 (stock was .032). I get instant starts.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500