Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge Torqueflite ?

From: DupontTim@xxxxxxx
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge Torqueflite ?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:19:37 EDT

Greetings,  I am very interested in the outcome of the Torqueflite question
on the 56 Dodge. It raises some very interesting questions and forces us to
define some aspects of the hobby. When it comes to cars that are going to
be
recognized by  collectors as factory examples where is the line drawn? I
remember reading an article on the Otis Chandler collection and in defining
his collection he was only collecting cars that were available to the
"general public". Could Joe Public, if he were in the right place at the
right time, order the car and get it built?

An interesting question that I'm sure will bring some even more interesting
on a new car from a dealer in Southern Calif that was rumoured to deliver
any car they way you want it.  It was not a Mopar dealer so I won't mention
it here (only the third time I deviated from owning mopar products) but it
was literally a "one of a kind".

If today, the car had ended up in the hands of some collector, I am certain
this very subject has probably caused quite a few heated arguments.  For the
motor, transmission and rear end ratio were most definitely NOT a normally
"available to the public" option, but did come from the factory as ordered
and was not a "dealer-installed option".

I would love to know where that car ended up and learn about the
"interesting discussions" it has created.

Karl