Re: [FWDLK] classic car insurance

Hiya!

'show car' insuance is generally available from a number of isurance
providers - I would recommend getting a copy of Hemmings Motor News and
looking through the Services section.

This is normally limited, stated-value inusrance.  By 'limited,' I mean that
you cannot use the vehicle for anything other than car shows, auto club
events and acvitivites, service, and testing operation (yeah, that's the big
loophole).  Pretty much the same restrictions that apply to Antique or
Collector Vehicle plates from State DMVs.  The vehicle needs to be kept in a
locked garage, and cannot be left unattended when being used.

Stated Value is exactly that - the car is insured (and the premium is based)
for the value you place on the car.  For example, my 59 Dodge Coronet was
originally insured for $2,000.  After I completed the restoration, I upped
the value to $5,000.  Of course, you can't insure a $200 car for $25,000 and
burn down the garage.  You have to provide photos, and the insurance
comapnies know what the cars are worth.

Although driving is limited (Virginia just upped the 'pleasure use' limites
on Antique plates), the cost is much better - I pay $235 per year for three
collector vehicles, full coverage.

I have never had a claim (thankfully), and have been pleased with Collector
Car Insurance.  I'm sure that other list members can give good and bad
experiences.  One I would recommend against is American Collectors - I was
with them for two years, and the whole process was a nightmare.

Good luck with your car!

Bob
1959 Dodge