Re: [FWDLK] 1956 Plymouth Savoy

Chris,

Turn signals were still optional in 1956 on many cars.  In Canada, they did not become
a mandatory feature on cars until 1957.   If your car does have the column-mounted
turn signal lever, then it has them, but something somewhere is not functioning (bulbs,
connections or the flasher unit).

Workshop manuals are availalble, both on the internet and through snail-mail businesses.
If you check the site www.forwardlook.net, for example, there are lists of items for sale
and various sources of parts and literature.  If you would like some specific sources in
North America, I can supply a list of firms that do sell manuals and other literature.

By the way, where was your Plymouth built?  Chrysler of Canada supplied many export
markets from the 1920's to 1966 (except 1942 and 1955), especially to the Commonwealth
countries.  Being a 1956 Plymouth Savoy 6, model P28-1, if it was a Canadian-built
vehicle, the VIN should be between 95 536 401 and 95 545 250, while the Lynnch Road
plant sequence ran from 14 120 001 to 14 272 723.

When it comes to sourcing parts this will be important as the two plants did use different
engines and many other parts.  Canadian-built 1956 Plymouth sixes used the larger 25"
block Chrysler flathead six with 250.6 cid, while the American Plymouth used the 23"
block 230.6 cid engine.

Hope this is of some help.

Bill W