[FWDLK] L-Head DeSoto Six Diagnosis

The DeSoto Six in question is in a 1950 DeSoto Custom club coupe, but
similar engines were installed in Forward Look cars through 1959. Perhaps
an authority here can diagnose the strange sound my no-start DeSoto Six is
making.

The Engine
This six is a standard 236.7 cubic inch motor with 98,500 miles. It is an
un-opened original. Of course, the motor is attached to Tip-Toe-Shift with
Fluid Drive. Motor does produce blow-by (black-blue smoke) when it runs.

The History
Motor was run regularly from 1985 through 1992. In 1993, the motor
developed a no-start condition and the DeSoto was dormant through 2000.

This summer, my father and I began working on the motor and found the
no-start condition to be caused by lack of spark. Replacing some frayed
wiring enabled the engine to start, and the car could be moved. With oil,
water and gas all full, it made a short, low speed trip around the block.

The Problem
A stalling condition remained, which seems to be related to the
Tip-Toe-Shift. While running the FSM test for Tip-Toe connections and
solenoids, we turned the key to start the car, and heard this unusual sound:

http://w3.one.net/~desoto/1950_desoto.ram
(Use your RealPlayer to listen.)

It sounds as though the engine has no compression and no friction. The fan
turns, and the valves open and close (seen through sparkplug hole). The
motor makes no attempt to start, and there is no seat-of-the-pants
sensation of engine turning while the starter cranks. What has happened?

We're attempting to test compression, but the tester is giving erratic
results.
I am wondering if the sound means the rings have disintegrated (there
was/is no metallic failure sound), the block has cracked (no external signs
of same), or the head gasket has failed.

Advice welcome!

Thanks You,
Dave Duricy
desoto@xxxxxxx
http://w3.one.net/~desoto

P. S. The sound you hear in the background of the RealAudio file seems to
be the local radio station! My 50 feet of microphone cable must have picked
up the signal.