[FWDLK] Package Shelf question

Group,

I cut out the cardboard for my back package self last night (1956 Dodge
Royal Lancer).   After placing it on the shelf, I checked it to adjust
it for fit.   Something doesn't seem quite right.  You can see the metal
(body color) between the cardboard and the back window glass rubber.
Was the package shelf cardboard on these cars suppose to sit right on
the shelf or be elevated (at a forward angle) on the ridge between the
back glass rubber and a kind of ledge there?  Anybody with a stock
interior please answer this question for me.   I appreciate your help.

Greg
(1956 Dodge Royal Lancer)