Re: [FWDLK] '55 Windsor Brakes

--- David Charles Gedraitis <dcg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm soon to be working on a 1955 Chrysler Windsor
> Wagon with my girl. I was told that the '55 brakes
> leave a lot to be desired. Does anyone know of any
> (inexpensive) upgrades that can be made?

Not off the top of my head, at least with that
qualifier...

> can i swap in the brakes from a later model car?

Sure, but it'll probably cost... ...I once owned a '65
Rambler that a PO had converted from Budd 4-piston
disc brakes to a single-piston disc setup from an
early-'70s F*rd; nobody had bothered to tell me this
had been done, so my brake guy had to work backwards
to find out just what that stuff was off of, saying
over and over in disbelief, "this guy must've
REEEEEEALY liked this car to spend the money to do
this..."

> what exactly is wrong with '55 brakes?

AFAIK they aren't any worse than other years, but the
master cylinder is '55 only and rebuild parts are hard
to obtain...

> will a new power master cylinder out of something
> else do it or do we need all new everything?

I'd defer to Terry Hoeman on this, but my suspicion -
which could be wrong - is that a '56 master cylinder
could be made to fit, and probably some newer ones as
well.

Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
1957 Plymouth Sport Suburban
(former owner, '55 New Yorker)