Re: [FWDLK] painting, resto shops, oneyear to do?

Re: [FWDLK] painting, resto shops, oneyear to do?

In a message dated 00/11/01 9:07:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The remaining shops  want to work on it between jobs and tell
>  me it may take close to a year to get it done

Nothing new here except the shock?
My 56 was also a shell, I started with the 'best' local collision shop that I
always have work done at (sorry, have had a few accidents...)  and they
referred me to their new branch shop that was just opened 40 miles West of
here.  Of course they  were ready to rock and roll, car was in and out in
about 6 weeks, mebbee 7.
Cost for some minor bodywork and full paint about $2100, including blocking
the sides and using one step urethane with hardneer, NO clearcoat.  That was
in 94?

Buddy who has 3 man local body shop does lots of old cars and also various
insurance collision work.  Old cars are taken with the understanding that
they ARE a filler.  Most are around for 4 to 8 or 9 months.  The guys are
happy cause the price is right.  Quality is average or slight ly less, the
quality at the big shop was high high.

IMHO U should quickly join local AACA or other old car club and get yer
network going.  Now ther is another option and check out local street rod
club, not to join but to get some names to call of guys that could do the job
in their garage.

I bot a 51 Merc 2dr, my first old car, about 1983.  It was from a guy that
ran the local community college body shop, was worked on by students and
painted there.
Another opotion?

Where there is a will.... etc etc. In any case,  Rotsa Ruck,

Lars