Re: [FWDLK] Need Body Shop - My approach

Re: [FWDLK] Need Body Shop - My approach

Ron,
I have come up against the same problem.  The approach that I am taking is a
follows:
I will dissassemble the car completely, and take it a place that that does
media stripping (Quick Strip in Carteret NJ)about $500-600 to strip the
entire care plus another $250 or so to do the chassis. It appears that
undercoating may be a problem here, this process does not remove it well.
The sheetmetal and body work will get done by a sheetmetal fabricator, who
does only this type of work (no paint). The guy I talked to can fabricate
the entire sections or he is willing to hang any replacement panels that I
come up with. (at $55 per hour I am looking at the most economic solution
here) As an added bonus all the metal will be as close to ready to paint as
possible with lead filler instead of plastic and the inaccessible sections
properly rustproofed (I may try to use POR-15 in these areas).  I think that
this will be the most expensive part of the job but money spent in the right
place. The trick is finding someone who will work with you. Some Resto shops
may be willing to do this part of the work also.
Next a body shop can do the final prep and paint.  This is what they do best
and they won't get caught up in all of the rust repair and fabrication that
make these jobs unprofitable for them.
Get a copy of the Bargain News, Special Interest Vehicles I seem to recall
that there are a few resto shops and other advertisers from CT in there. I
get mine in 7-11 but there is a web site www.specialinterest.com a good
source of info  for those of you in the tri-state area. Another good source
of local shops is the newsletter of a local track.  Raceway News from
Englishtown NJ is where I found the stripper and metal fabricator.
GOOD LUCK.
Scott
1956 Dodge Custom Royal
1956 Plymouth Savoy