[FWDLK] Virgil Exner

Someone on the list recently inquired about the background and history of our
idol and the Forwardlook creator, Virgil Exner. A very fine story can be
found at the Chrysler Corp Club (UK) website, well worth reading, even if it
does remind me of the poor workmanship in the 1957-58 Forwardlook beauties.
Several of my friends owned Forwardlook cars in this period, and I remember
the fear of seeing what happened to their 1957-58 cars(  which literately
disintegrated within two years) and struggling to stop it from happening to
my new 1959 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer. I found that while "undercoating" was
worthless, good old (new of course) motor oil sprayed up around the
headlights, in the rocker panels, inside the doors and fender wells, worked.
Smelled a bit at first...but worked. Most of you probably have never
experienced the disappointment of a new car rusting away before your
eye's......it's a sad experience.  BUT ahhhh yes..... I NEVER OWNED a
prettier car.....and NEVER got over it. Thus my two DeSoto's, a '56 and a
'57.....(of course, what else!)...but these two will never see the salt so
generously applied here in the fine State of Ohio.

 To me, Forwardlook cars ARE the spirit of Virgil Exner. They ARE the 50's,
and Supreme examples of America enjoying prosperity, indulging in the freedom
to lead, and the creation of outrageous beautiful cars!  Not the carbon copy
look of today for sure! Long live the Fowardlook, Virgil Exners best
creations!

Anyhow.  A great story can be found at:  www.chrysler-club.com
Check it out, and tell'em Groucho sent you. 8-)

Leon Haddix
'56 DeS Firedome (Pink Lady)
'57 DeS Firesweep (Wild Thing)