[FWDLK]

Due to the large amount of inquiries, I will send this out to the entire
list.

I have no idea what is interchangeable between cars, but I know that this
fits a '61 just fine.

I removed the old brakes, the stock spindles, and the steering arms. I
then bolted into place the spindles from a 1970 Dodge Charger,using all of
the original nuts and bolts. One of the ball joints requires a thinner
washer between the spindle and the nut as the new spindle is very slightly
thicker. To bolt up the spindles to the lower control arm, one needs the
steering arms from a mid-80's or before aspen,volare, or diplomat (or any
other of the same type cars). These steering arms bolt to the charger
spindle using 5/8" fine thread bolts (NAPA has them-surprisingly hard to
find). The bolts I used were 2" long but I had to cut off about 8 threads
(or if you will 1/2") so they would not interfere with the steering from
sticking out too far in the back. No nuts were used as the holes in the
steering arms were threaded. I had to slightly enlarge the holes on the
'70 spindle to accomodate the larger bolt.The steering arms bolt in fine to
the original tie-rod ends with all stock nuts and bolts. I obtained the
calipers and rotors from CAP without a problem, as well as the brake pads.
The calipers require special bolts in order to be bolted in correctly to
the spindle-NAPA has them, and I have the part #'s of all the parts I have
purchased through stores. The brake lines were all custom from a local
place (i LOVE braided stainless), so I do not know where they can be
obtained. The dual master cylinder was also from CAP and was made to go on
a 70 full-size chrysler. The original brake-push rod was too long, but I
managed to find a rod from a power brake equipped '61 (my parts car) which
consisted of one threaded rod screwed into another one. I shortened it as
needed and bolted it into place. The master cylinder from CAP bolted in
the stock position with no modification.There is currently no proportioning
valve, and the rear brakes are next. The brakes from a '70's mopar muscle
car with an 8 3/4 will bolt up to my stock differential. The new spindles
narrow the front track width, and to remedy this, one needs 1/4" wheel
spacers so the tires remain where they should be. Power brakes may or may
not be installed on this car, but I have no knowledge yet as how to do
this. Prices for everything were as follows.

70 Charger Spindles                  $175
Early 80's Steering Arms             $30
Master Cylinder                      $26 (without core)
Rotors, calipers, and pads           $250
Special caliper bolts                $38 (ouch!)
Total cost                           $519

If one had all of the necessary parts beforehand, and a decently organized
workshop, this could all be accomplished in a weekend. If any part numbers
are needed, please contact me. Good luck.

~dave

'61 Newport
'67 Kaiser M-715
'55 Windsor Wagon