[FWDLK] Here is How to Remove Driprail Chrome

[FWDLK] Here is How to Remove Driprail Chrome

I am at the stage of disassembly where I am removing the Chrome and Trim on
my 56 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer.
I came up with a good way to remove the drip rail chrome without causing any
damage. I know that several of you are at a similar stage and I figured I
would share it with you.

This is a similar concept to using piano wire to remove a windshield.

You will need a thin piece of aluminum or sheet metal about 6"x6" square.
Very thin about the thickness of good heavyweight paper.  I had a piece of
aluminum in my toolbox, I don't remenber where it was from. I think a
section cut from an old rain gutter might also work but watch the thickness!
A beer can may work but I think it would be too thin.  It is most important
that whatever you use be thin enough to bend before the lip of trim you are
trying to remove.

I have pictures that illustrate the process, I will post them soon but if
anyone needs them e-mail me and I will send a .zip file with 8 pics
enclosed. You will need the Win Zip utility to open it, you can download the
utility at www.winzip.com.

Starting from the front gently pry the moulding from the BOTTOM, and only
the BOTTOM with a small pry bar or good flat screwdriver. Once you are able
to loosen up about 2-4 inches slide a long narrow screwdriver in from the
front to hold the bottom of the trim slightly away from the drip rail.
Now take your 6x6 piece of metal and slide it into the gap between the
driprail and the trim so that the top of the metal is at a depth that is
roughly in the middle to top 1/3 of the moulding. Now, and please wear good
heavy work gloves, grasp both sides of the metal and pull toward the rear of
the car. As the metal moves it will pull the bottom of the trim over the lip
on the bottom of the drip rail.

If it gets too snug along the way try a little WD-40 that loosened it up for
me.

Good luck.
Scott