Re: [FWDLK] windshield removal

Not knowing exactly how the windshield is installed, but most cars from that
era would have to be hooked in, that is when installed, the rubber is on the
glass and pulled into the frame with a hook. A cotter pin hook or a Philips
screwdriver bent into a hook will work for a home made tool. To remove the
glass you must run the tool on the inside lip of the gasket to loosen it
while applying pressure to push it out. If the glass is broken already, the
gasket can be loosened and you can push the glass and gasket out with your
feet. Eye protection must be worn if you do this as the glass will splinter.
The glass and gasket remove as a unit.  This is not advised if the gasket
has chrome locked in it as the chrome will get bent.  Another style of
gasket has a locking bead on the outside. You can recognize it because the
rubber looks like it has a small seam in the center.  Take a tool similar to
what was described above and unlock the bead, loosen the gasket from the
glass since it has a sealer and then have an assistant push against the
glass while the gasket is worked loose from the glass. It works best to get
one of the corners first. The last type has a locking rope type bead that
must be installed with a special tool. If you have that, peel the end loose
and pull the rope like bead out and loosen the gasket from the glass, the
assistant pushes while you work the gasket loose.
Installing glass is more of an art than removing.  You may want to think
seriously about installing a windshield yourself. Even if you pay a glass
company to install your windshield and it breaks, they will not pay for it.
(If you take your glass to them and are only paying for labor)  If you buy
the glass installed, if they break, it they own it. A windshield is a
different type of glass than the side and back glass and very easy to break
on installation.
I hope this helps.
Dan Merritt
'60 Dodge Dart