Re: [FWDLK] What's a "Clone" ??

But where's the fine line?

The quandry, as I see it, is that it is easy for
someone to take a Firedome two-door hardtop and turn
it in to an Adventurer if they have the necessary
Adventurer only parts, VIN, cowl tag, frame, carbs,
cleaner, block, suspension, etc.

And if someone DOES do this, should it be considered a
clone?

It's not an accurate representation of what the buyer
is actually getting is it, or is it?  The sheet metal
is the same.  When the metal was stamped out, no one
was sure whether it was going to become an Adventurer
or a Firedome, were they?

By your definition, if I am reading you correctly, the
only thing that kept this Barrett Jackson car from
being a "true" car is that the VIN and cowl tag didn't
match the Historical Records, right?

Had the person selling it also dug up a VIN and trim
tag to match, then it would suddenly be an Adventurer
Convertible, fully documented, right?

And I don't think it would be that hard to dig up a
VIN tag and cowl tag for one, especially considering
the pay off.

Just for the record, would that have made the
difference in your (or anyone else's) eyes?

I am no arguing really one way or another, I am just
wondering what the general concensus is on this
because an awful lot of people are cutting up decent
lower trim cars to make the more desirable and rarer
models (and I am sure many 300, Fury, D-500 and
Adventurer people know what I am talking about) and
they are not being accused of making clones, as near
as I can tell.

So was it just the matter of the VIN and cowl tag?
Would it have been legitimate then? And for further
discussion, would that then make the destruction of a
Fireflite convertible to make an Adventurer
convertible justified as well?

For that matter, do people here feel justified in
destroying a rust free example of a lower trim model
in order to restore their rusted out more desirable
model?

It happens all the time, especially with two-door HT's
being destroyed to restore the rusty convertibles.

Leslie Howard