[FWDLK] wiring - Steering

Looks like the first try did not come through.
I have been thinking about the next stage of my 1956 Dodge project.
I need to re-do the wiring and want to add a fuse box. I have seen a lot of
companies that make wiring harnesses for GM based street rods and customs.
These generally plug right into a GM steering column.
I have not had an opportunity to disassemble the power steering box/column
for the Dodge.  Is there a short splined shaft that attaches the ps box to
the column or is there one long stering shaft from the box up to the
steering wheel?
I am thinking that if there is a short splined shaft, like a modern car, I
could use a GM steering column and an off the shelf "custom" wiring harness.
 I know that IDIDIT makes all kinds of steering column couplers so that
would be easy and the wiring would then be pretty east and relatively ch$$p.
Scott