[FWDLK] rear end

Hi all
I would like to know if anyone out there knows if I can take the
differential out of my 57 Plymouth rear end housing and put in a 60,s or
70,s 83/4 rear end.
I was told today that it might work that way I can upgrade to a newer rear
end and not have to do anything to the drive shaft.
Has anyone tried this or know if it will work.
Bob Hanekamp
bobsmopar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx