Re: [FWDLK] Flushing brake hydraulic system

Re: [FWDLK] Flushing brake hydraulic system

I am a big fan of silicone brake fluid.  In damp climates I have had wheel
cylinders fail every year or two in several cars that see infrequent use.  Upon
rebuilding the brakes and going with silicone, I have gone up to about 10 years
with no hydraulic maintenance required in three of my cars. (1939, 1954 and
1965)  Altogether I have it in 10 cars.  I have noticed no problems in any way
but was always having problems with rust on the wheel cylinder walls before.
Jim

brian wrote:

> Just a note to add to the discussion re silicone brake fluid.
>
> If you are using an original or NOS brake light switch and you change to
> silicone brake fluid you may discover after several months that you no longer
> have brake lights!
>
> Some of the older brake light switches tend to fail from their components
> dissolving due to the silicone fluid, so keep a watch on your brake lights.
>
> I keep an extra switch in my car just in case....
>
> Brian
> 57 D500s in warm MI
begin:          vcard
fn:             Jim  Carpenter
n:              Carpenter;Jim
org:            Collectors Auto Supply
adr:            1510 Main St (Courier);; P.O. Box 2076 (Postal);Oroville; Wa. ;98844;U.S.A.
email;internet: car@xxxxxxxxx
title:          WEB SITE: COLLECTORSAUTOSUPPLY.COM
tel;work:       1-250-767-1974
tel;fax:        1-250-767-3340
tel;home:       1-250-767-1974
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0