Re: [FWDLK] A question about auto shipping...and some random

Re: [FWDLK] A question about auto shipping...and some random thoughts

Brian,

Welcome to the car shipper's club!!  The current (June) issue of Car Collector magazine has a great article on "transporting your car" starting on page 50. In addition to all the tips and advice, it lists many commercial carriers addresses & phone numbers and some of them offer their advice as well.

Pick up an issue and check it out.

If you can't find it let me know and I'll try and send you a copy.

Brian Skogler
57 D500s in Michigan

Brian Carpenter wrote:

I am looking for any advice that the list might have concerning shipping of a car.  Hopefully, if everything works out, I will soon be the proud owner of a forward-look car ('57 Belvedere).  The problem I have is how to get it from San Francisco to Minneapolis.   Driving it back here is a pretty unattractive option (the factors being time and whether or not the car would survive the 2,000-mile trip), therefore, it looks like I am going to have to resort to having it shipped here and I am looking for any advice on how to keep the costs of this as low as possible.  Any thoughts that you veterans of this stuff might have regarding what company to use and any other tricks aimed at keeping the price down would be much appreciated. In case you can't tell, I am new to all of this, in fact, this is my first "classic car" purchase of any kind and I am looking forward to picking all of your brains as I work on getting this one back to it's original glory.  As far as I'm concerned, these forward-look cars that we all love so much are rolling, V-6 and V-8 powered works of art.  Sadly, looking at today's automobile industry, it appears that it has become a dead art (is it just me or do most of the cars on the road these days look like carbon-copies of whatever is sitting right next to 'em?), which is all the more reason to get these beauties back on the street and remind people of how it once was and how it could be again.  Ok, enough of this sappy crap. Thanks for any help that any of you are able to offer. -Brian Carpenterbcarpenter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx